Welcome to the Gravely Art Website
I am Miss Bonner and I am the art teacher of all students at Gravely. I see each class once a week for 45 minutes. We follow the VA and PWC Visual Art SOLs. Your child will learn about a variety of art techniques, styles, and artists this year in art. Please check in frequently as this is where you will find out what your child is working on this week in art along with any art announcements. If you ever have any questions or concerns please contact me at email@example.com
My name is Stephanie Bonner. I am the art teacher at Gravely Elementary. This school year will mark my 9th year at Gravely and my 10th year in the county. I am a Virginia native that grew up here in Prince William County, although I now live in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. I have a Bachelor's degree in Art/Graphic Design from Radford University and a Master's Degree in Education from the University of Mary Washington. When I am not at Gravely, I enjoy running, reading, being outside, going to the beach, and photographing my adventures.
- Paint night to benefit the Encore Team will be held on Tuesday, March 28th at Muse in Gainesville. Please try to sign up for the event and support the encore programs!
- March is Youth Art Month.
- The PWC Art Festival will take place on Saturday, April 1st at Colgan High. Please come out and support the arts. I will be at the Gravely display all day. More information about the festival can be found below. If your child has artwork in the festival you will receive a letter this Tuesday 3/21. Please contact me with any questions.
- The PWC Summer Art Enrichment Program applications ARE NOW AVAILABLE for students that have completed grades 2-5 by the July start date. The applications are be available on this website, the county art website, and there will be hard copies in the office and the art room. The digital applications are be available in the files/documents area of this website. Applicants are accepted on a first come first serve basis. Please contact me with any questions. firstname.lastname@example.org
- There will be a 1st-2nd grade art club in May. Applications will be available on the Gravely Art website and in art class in mid-April. More information to come closer to the date. Member names will be drawn via a blind lottery.
- Congratulations to the following students for having art sent off and possibly be chosen to be in the PWC Handbook/Calendar and/or the PWC Art Festival Documents: Sophia W., Molly L., Sidney Y., Rachel T., Maddie M., Ozie J., and Nevaeh D.
- I will be adding links to the "useful" link area of the website that will lead you to the county art website along with other useful sites.
- The art pacing guide and SOL files can be found in the "files and documents" area of this webpage.
What are the grade levels working on?
- Kindergarten: Students will be learning about Claude Monet and his artwork. They will use their finger and tempera paint to create a painting of a spring bush.
- 1st Grade: Students will be creating an alligator weaving. They will create a loom and painted weft. They will use patterns to create the weaving and add body parts to their alligator.
- 2nd Grade: Students will be drawing a soda can from direct observation. They will learn how to use value to make something look more realistic. They will learn about Pop Art. They will also learn about composition and how to create an interesting one.
- 3rd Grade: Students will be learning about tints and shades and mix them using a primary or secondary color tempera paint. They will create value with oil pastels by drawing sea creatures on the painting.
- 4th Grade: Students will begin working on a Mola. They will draw a sea creature inspired by artwork of the San Blas Islands. They will also use stitching techniques to add visual texture to their piece.
- 5th: Students will be using illustration board to create layers in a drawing. They will engrave layers of lines and use color sticks to layer colors. They will choose the design for their artwork.
- ALL 3-5 students will be creating sketchbooks and portfolios during the first week of school. They will use the sketchbooks to draw and write in. The portfolio will hold all art until the spring school art festival where they will choose their best piece to be on display. So if you don't see art coming home immediately, it is here at school.
Art Club 2016-2017
Thank you for a great art club! The most ceiling tiles are finished and up in the art room and the art that has not come home yet is on display in the cases by the library.
There will be a 1st and 2nd grade art club in May. Applications will be available in art class or via this art website. The applications will be available April 18-25 and due on April 26th. The meeting dates will be the 4 Fridays in May. A blind lottery will choose the 10 art club members. More information to come closer to the date.
Art Festival 2017
The Prince William County Art Festival will be held on Saturday, April 1, 2017 from 10-4 at Colgan High School. I have already starting selecting student art for this show and will continue to do so throughout the year. More information will be available closer to the date. Letters will be going home mid-March to students who have art in this show.
The school show will be held on Thursday, April 27th. All 3rd-5th grade students will be choosing art to go in this show.