Welcome to the Gravely Art Website
I am Miss Bonner and I am the art teacher of all students at Gravely. I see each class once a week for 45 minutes. We follow the VA and PWC Visual Art SOLs. Your child will learn about a variety of art techniques, styles, and artists this year in art. Please check in frequently as this is where you will find out what your child is working on this week in art along with any art announcements. If you ever have any questions or concerns please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
My name is Stephanie Bonner. I am the art teacher at Gravely Elementary. This school year will mark my 9th year at Gravely and my 10th year in the county. I am a Virginia native that grew up here in Prince William County, although I now live in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. I have a Bachelor's degree in Art/Graphic Design from Radford University and a Master's Degree in Education from the University of Mary Washington. When I am not at Gravely, I enjoy running, reading, being outside, going to the beach, and photographing my adventures.
- The school art show will be held from 4-7PM on Thursday, April 27th. All 3-5 students will choose art for the show. Kindergarten classes will each have a group piece. 1st and 2nd will have something in the show if they allow me to keep it to hang.
- Congratulations to Sidney Y., Neveah D., and Rachel T. for having their art on the PWC Art Festival poster/invitation. How awesome to have your art in every school in the county and going home to all students with art in the show! So proud of you all! :)
- Thank you to all of the families that came out to Muse this week to have fun painting and raise funds for the encore programs! :)
- Thank you to everyone who came out to the PWC Art Festival! It was wonderful to see you all. A big congratulations to J. Lazer for winning the white ribbon for best in show at the Gravely display. His art will be on display at the administrative center for the year.
- The PWC Summer Art Enrichment Program applications ARE NOW AVAILABLE for students that have completed grades 2-5 by the July start date. The applications are be available on this website, the county art website, and there will be hard copies in the office and the art room. The digital applications are be available in the files/documents area of this website. Applicants are accepted on a first come first serve basis. Please contact me with any questions. email@example.com
- There will be a 1st-2nd grade art club in May. Applications are now available on the Gravely Art website and in art class starting Tuesday, April 18th. Applications are due by April 26th. Member names will be drawn via a blind lottery.
- Congratulations to the following students for having art sent off and possibly be chosen to be in the PWC Handbook/Calendar and/or the PWC Art Festival Documents: Sophia W., Molly L., Sidney Y., Rachel T., Maddie M., Ozie J., and Nevaeh D.
- I will be adding links to the "useful" link area of the website that will lead you to the county art website along with other useful sites.
- The art pacing guide and SOL files can be found in the "files and documents" area of this webpage.
What are the grade levels working on?
- Kindergarten: Students will be learning about shading a create value in a still-life drawing. They will also be using stamping techniques to create cherry blossom trees.
- 1st Grade: Students will be learning about Grant Wood and Regionalism. They will learn about the parts of a landscape and draw a farm landscape that includes items in the foreground, middleground, and background.
- 2nd Grade: Students will be learning about the printmaking process. They will draw a lighthouse and create a foam printing plate. They will use printing ink and brayer to make prints.
- 3rd Grade: Students will be learning about tints and shades and mix them using a primary or secondary color tempera paint. They will create value with oil pastels by drawing sea creatures on the painting.
- 4th Grade: Students will begin working on a Mola. They will draw a sea creature inspired by artwork of the San Blas Islands. They will also use stitching techniques to add visual texture to their piece.
- 5th: Students will be creating a design for a canvas board painting. They will choose and style or artist for inspiration, create sketch, and then use paint to create the painting.
- ALL 3-5 students will be creating sketchbooks and portfolios during the first week of school. They will use the sketchbooks to draw and write in. The portfolio will hold all art until the spring school art festival where they will choose their best piece to be on display. So if you don't see art coming home immediately, it is here at school.
Art Club 2016-2017
Thank you for a great 3-5 art club!
There will be a 1st and 2nd grade art club in May. Applications are now available in art class or via this art website. The applications will be available April 18-25 and due on April 26th. The meeting dates will be the 4 Fridays in May. A blind lottery will choose the 10 art club members. More information to come closer to the date.
Art Festival 2017
The Prince William County Art Festival will be held on Saturday, April 1, 2017 from 10-4 at Colgan High School. I have already starting selecting student art for this show and will continue to do so throughout the year. More information will be available closer to the date. If your child has art in the show, letters went home on 3/21.
The school art show will be held from 4-7PM on Thursday, April 27th. All 3-5 students will choose art for the show. Kindergarten classes will each have a group piece. 1st and 2nd will have something in the show if they allow me to keep it to hang. They art will be hung in the main hallways and the ramps. the event is the same evening as the book fair after school hours and the 2nd grade musical performance. Please try to make it out for the colorful event!